Thursday, January 29

so much to say, so little time!

It has been a great week for me in the kitchen. I have felt inspired to cook and plan meals. I have even planned breakfasts! Those have usually been up to the kids to fend for themselves, but since we are trying to get away from boxed cereal, I have had to make a plan. We've had pancakes and waffles and stove top oatmeal and baked oatmeal. Tomorrow will either be yogurt with fruit/granola or eggs and toast.

And I made a "clean" meatloaf, too. Not that my meatloaf has ever been from a box or anything, but I didn't use ketchup in it. Ketchup is one of the few last processed and full of high fructose corn syrup foods that we have around. And honestly, even organic Heinz is still not really great IMHO. Next summer I will try to can some homemade ketchup. But I digress. I used some tomato sauce with a little vinegar and a little honey and reduced it (with my sauteed onions) and added that to my meatloaf. Since I had my next batch of bread rising I used my last couple of slices of homemade bread to make the breadcrumbs even.

I can tell you are all impressed.

I do have some recipes that I want to post, but I also have Clay's birthday dinner to get to so it will have to wait another day.

I did make my first sauerkraut this week. D brought home some red cabbage from our CSA on Tuesday. He sliced it up super thin for me and I mixed it with the salt, pounded it in the jar, and let it sit. It was bubbling today so I put it in the fridge to sour. Can't wait! You can see the method I used here.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

One of my sisters used to make sauerkraut! I was a kid and had no appreciation at all for the smell involved. Wonder what I would think now! Homemade ketchup sounds wonderful!
Meatloaf is one of my most favorite things and my nephew, Dean, always brought the best meatloaf to family pitchins. I never could figure out what he was doing that made it so good, so I finally asked him. After a long list of ingredients that I had already figured out, he finally smiled and confided that he added a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar! It makes all the difference.

Jenny said...

Huh I just tried to comment, but it didn't go through I guess, Congratulations on the kraut. We like purple kraut - it's color is amazing! Ketchup is on our to-do list this summer too.